Boat Parts WooCommerce Shop

This boat parts WooCommerce website store was interesting. My first task was to find and install the best shipping plugins for USPS and FedEx. I also had to find a plugin to send out notifications when stock got low. I had no idea shipping could be so confusing! Over the span of a couple months, I figured them out. One of them had a bug which really threw me off.

My next task for the boat parts WooCommerce website was to add images to the products. The products were somehow added with a Python script. Now that I think about it, that makes no sense whatsoever. There were about 1200 products. I say WERE for a very good reason. We eventually widdled it down to 200.

First, I created a WordPress PHP script to attach the images to the products. That worked okay. The SKUs of the boat parts did not match up very well to the names of the images. I created an algorithm to match up images that kind of matched the boat part SKUs.

That method would’ve worked well if each image matched up to a boat part SKU, but they didn’t. I came up with another algorithm that compared each boat part SKU to the names of every single boat part image. The algo copied the image to a new folder. Now, at least, I knew that the image belonged somewhere.

Later on, I discovered that some of the boat parts had to have multiple images. Whoops. Start over. I made so many changes I can’t even remember what I did next.

Then, I discovered that some of the boat parts with multiple images had to be in a certain order. While I was desperately working on the boat parts store, I was also learning how to use the most useful tool in all the earth. WP All Import. When I figured out how to use WP All Import, I ditched my trusty algorithm, deleted all the images, and used WP All Import. HOWEVER, I did have to use my algorithm to copy boat part images to separate folders so that WP All Import could import them. Also, by this time, there were only two hundred products left, and all the boat part images were custom. Seriously, it nearly turned into a boat wreck.

Another fun PHP function I added to the boat parts WooCommerce website was free shipping over $100. Some products were ineligible which caused a small conundrum, but I figured that out.

Eventually things started going insane. Instead of separate tasks, I got one task with a gazillion sub tasks. Create custom login page, reorder images, change # of products displayed to 12, make add to cart buttons line up, completely customize category sidebar (this was fun), delete dev site, remove certain sorting options, add sort by SKU filter. WHEW.

All the while, the shipping plugins were making me contemplate terrible thoughts like “should I be a web developer?”

The last tasks I got were to sort boat parts by SKU (tougher than you think), customize the products in the sidebar (also tougher than you think), and move the search bar. The last task I received was two days ago, January 17, 2017. It seems like website truly are never done.

Boat Parts WooCommerce Summary

  • I installed and configured five plugins. Two  were shipping plugins. One was for stock notifications. Another one was for importing products, and the last one was for searching/sorting products.
  • I programmatically attached pictures to products using a custom PHP function.
  • I modified a plugin called Search & Filter to display collapsible categories.
  • I discovered a bug in one of the shipping plugins. I let the author know, and they fixed it.
  • I sorted products by SKU.
  • I created a custom template to display products in the sidebar. The products had a nice big Add to Cart button.
  • I created tutorials to explain the shipping plugins.
  • I verified the payment gateway by making a test purchases.
  • I added a custom log in page.